Set at the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains, only 270km from Cape Town, Bushmans Kloof is a haven of staggering beauty and timeless tranquillity, where abundant wildlife roam free. Set among wide open plains, majestic rock formations and crystal clear waterfalls, the mystical energy makes it a natural playground for those seeking to reconnect with their inner selves and the essence of life.
Experience new dimensions of wellness at this ecological oasis in the heart of Rooibos country, where an inspiring holistic healing and wellness focus deeply rooted in nature, offers solace for body, mind and spirit. The intimate Spa provides welcome sanctuary while the Spa Menu offers pampering and restorative signature treatments, complemented with unique products made from indigenous rooibos,
flowers and plants. The riverside Spa Gazebo offers a truly magical pampering space with panoramic views
Renowned equally for its warm, caring service, exceptional hospitality, and delicious organic cuisine served in breathtaking settings, this
5-star Relais & Châteaux lodge with its superb facilities and accommodation has won a range of international awards, including being
voted as Best Hotel in the World. Exclusive and totally private, it boasts 16 rooms and suites, among which the Riverside Supreme Suite,
ideal for special occasions or romantic escapes. Koro Lodge, an independently catered for private villa set in a secluded location within the reserve (4km from Main Lodge), offers breathtaking views of the surrounding wilderness, and caters for friends and families where children are welcome all year round.
A South African Natural Heritage Site, Bushmans Kloof is home to more than 130 ancient Bushman rock art sites. Guests may indulge in a vast range of outdoor activities that include nature drives and walks, mountain biking, canoeing and swimming in rock pools, or do absolutely nothing but inhale the beauty and succumb to the tranquillity of this enchanting wilderness reserve.
Exclusive SmartNights Amenities
- Private Dining in the Reserve
- Welcome Drink on Arrival
- Departure Gift
- 10% off Spa Treatments
- Complimentary WiFi
The following amenities are subject to availability at the time of check-in:
Check In: 2:00 PM
Check Out: 12:00 PM
Number of Rooms: 16
All have lounge areas, large private terraces with stunning views of the gardens, river and reserve. The Deluxe Family Room, Niven has a master bedroom, a second twin bedroom and 2 en-suite bathrooms.
Average size: Bedroom and Lounge - 430 sq ft; Bathroom - 182 sq ft
Located in the original Manor House, the Suite has a four poster bed, seperate lounge with fireplace and a large terrace with spectacular views.
Average size: Bedroom - 292 sq ft; Lounge - 390 sq ft; Bathroom - 84 sq ft
Double or twin sharing accommodation, with views of the landscaped indigenous gardens and one of the three nearby swimming pools.
Average size: Bedroom - 215 sq ft; Bathroom - 75 sq ft
Riverside Supreme Suite
Secluded beside the Boontjies River, the exquisitely decorated Supreme Suite has a seperate lounge with fireplace, large terrace, outdoor shower and private heated plunge pool.
Average size: Bedroom - 260 sq ft; Lounge - 351 sq ft; Bathroom - 118 sq ft
A traditional farmhouse transformed into a spectacular secluded villa that offers your own private wilderness for families and friends traveling together. Situated in glorious isolation a few minutes drive from the lodge with never ending views of the surrounding natural beauty. Koro Lodge is independently catered for, offering exceptional comfort, service and splendid luxury while being at one with nature.
Services and Facilities include:
• Dedicated host, chef and guide
• Can accommodate up to 8 people
• Children of all ages welcome
• 2 Master bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms (one with outdoor shower)
• Loft area can accommodate 4 children
• Entertainment lounge with en-suite bathroom (can sleep 2 extra people)
• Kitchen, bar, dining area and living room with fireplace
• All meals and selection of beverages
• Pool and outdoor BBQ area
• Telephones and complimentary WiFi
• Dual-view satellite television
• Air conditioning, under-floor heating and ceiling fans
• Housekeeping and laundry service
• Spa treatments are available at the The Spa at Bushmans Kloof or select treatments available at Koro Lodge
• Yoga mats and instructional DVD's available
• Design your own program to include rock art walks, nature drives, mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, fly fishing and archery
Complimentary Wireless (WiFi) Internet
In-room Safe Deposit Box
Chauffeur Service on Request
Electrical adapters & Power Converters for International Guests
iPod Docking Stations
Wedding Vow Renewal Ceremonies
Wine Tasting and Cooking with the Chef programs available.
Boardroom Meeting Space
Private Dining Areas
Non-Smoking Rooms and Suites
Fresh Water Pool
High-Speed Internet Access
Lush Landscaped Gardens
Meeting & Conference Facilities
Small Wedding Facilities
Star Observation Site
The River Boma
A place to gather round the fire and share stories with its open-air seating down by the river, it is perfect for sundowners and for stargazing. Boma provides a perfect setting for sundowners or nightcaps in the moonlight.
(Meaning 'To Feast' in the ancient language of the Bushman), has stone walls enclosing an elegant lounge with twin fireplaces overlooking sweeping lawns and the Boontjies River. The ideal choice for mouth watering high teas, hot cooked breakfasts and outdoor celebration dinners. Complemented by our fine wines, guests have an unequivocal taste celebration of the Cederberg.
An extraordinary location under African skies, Embers is built into a natural ancient sandstone amphitheater of giant boulders overlooking dramatic cliffs and valleys, and lit up by a roaring fire and hundreds of candles and lanterns. Guests are spoil for choice with a South African salad buffet and home-baked breads, a choice of grills which includes Karoo lamb, traditional sausage, succulent steaks and chicken kebabs, and of course delectable desserts.
(Meaning 'Tinderbox of stories' in the ancient language of the Bushman), a secret dining location within the reserve for intimate candlelit dinners for up to 16 guests, is perfect for smaller groups, private celebrations and ideal for special occasions. An additional surcharge applies and 24 hours notice is required.
The Homestead and Manor House Bar and Deck
The restaurant adjoins the pool terrace, where high tea is often served. The formal dining room is warm and elegantly furnished, with a full complement of attentive staff to present a selection of specialities offered each evening from the Executive Chef's table d'hote menu. Enjoy cocktails in the bar and after dinner drinks beside the fireplace.
Places of Interest and Optional Excursions
Map / Location
[ Print Directions ]
DIRECTIONS TO BUSHMANS KLOOF (270km from Cape Town – allow two and a half–three hours driving time) GPS COORDINATES: S 32º 07” 14’ E 19º 06” 28’
- 1. Depart Cape Town via the N1.
- 2. Before Century City / Ratanga Junction, take the N7 off-ramp towards Malmesbury.
- 3. Continue past Malmesbury, towards Moorreesburg, Piketburg and Citrusdal to enter the Olifants River Valley (route takes approximately 2 hours). We recommend that you stop at Kardoesie (Farm Style Restaurant) for a light lunch just outside of Citrusdal on your right hand side.
- 4. Pass the Clanwilliam Dam (located on the right hand side of the road) and turn right onto the R364 to Lamberts Bay / Clanwilliam.
- 5. At the T-Junction, turn right to Clanwilliam.
- 6. When entering the town, a petrol station is located on the left hand side of road. NB: Fill up if petrol is required and please call the lodge on 0027 (0)27 482 8200 as there is no mobile reception after this point. This will enable the lodge to anticipate your time of arrival.
- 7. From Clanwilliam to the lodge gate is approximately 40km. Continue straight on the R364 towards Wupperthal and Calvinia and cross a bridge – follow this tarred road for approximately 25km, past ‘Louis Leipoldt’s Grave’ and over the Pakhuis Pass.
- 8. Cross a low bridge over the Brandewyns River.
- 9. Continue past a sign on the left hand side to ‘Traveller’s Rest’.
- 10. After travelling for 800m, the Bushmans Kloof gate will be on your right hand side.
- 11. Turn right at the Bushmans Kloof gate (recommended speed in the reserve – 40km per hour).
- 12. Continue straight, crossing a small bridge below the dam wall and follow the signs to the lodge.
- 13. Continue towards the lodge and on arrival please park your car next to the big Blue Gum trees and the building marked ‘Reception’. We would like to draw your attention to the fact that our gate closes at 17h00 daily. Should you expect to arrive after this time, kindly contact the lodge on 0027 (0)27 482 8200 prior to your departure to the lodge. With advance notice we can make alternative arrangements.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO MOBILE PHONE RECEPTION BETWEEN CLANWILLIAM AND THE LODGE.
Nearby airports: Cape Town [D.F. Malan], South Africa
Distance: 214 Miles